(Originally published in the Juneau Empire, October 2010)
Good Liberal Girls don’t play with guns. In fact, Good Liberal Girls know that worship of guns is the downfall of our nation. They take Judo and self-defense classes instead of relying on an easy trigger. Good Liberal Girls know that Bad Conservative Boys want guns because they’re afraid of Good Liberal Girls! And, of course, they should be afraid; we will always defy stereotype in ways that flummox those Bad Conservative Boys.
In fact, if we want to, we can become Good Liberal Women – who play with guns.
I remember the first time I held a hand gun as a good liberal girl. I was immediately nauseated and had to give it back to my (good liberal) boyfriend. There’s too much sociopathic death forged into the barrel of a hand gun. They were designed to kill humans. I still can’t hold one, and hope I never can.
But I also remember the first time I held a hunting rifle. That time, instead of needing to sit down, I stood tall and took aim. The power. I could hike a Southeast game trail in summer, and not be the game. I could participate in the web of life, not just shop for groceries. I could feed my family from my own labors.
I was 38 when I entered the hunt. That local bastion of Good Liberal Women, KTOO, offered hunting lessons for two women during their on-air auction. Before I knew what I was doing, I bid and won. The next item for bid was a 90 minute massage… I stayed on the line to bid for that, too, to still feel like a Good Liberal Woman. A friend bid for the 2nd offering of lessons for two women later that day.
So there were four of us, good liberal women all, holding hunting rifles in our arms for different reasons. J was a biologist in bear country who didn’t want to be a meal. S’s two young sons’ love of guns perplexed her, and she wanted to be able to share this with them. E’s new husband was an expert hunter and though she wanted to move on from carrying lunch to shooting it, felt it was a bad idea to add hunting lessons to typical marital negotiations. I partly wanted to put meat on the table, but also knew my young daughter would soon learn to shoot, and I couldn’t face the fear that comes from not knowing. I wanted to forge as many connections with her as possible, before she started giving me the “talk to the hand” sign.
And who was going to teach us? Well, one of those Bad Conservative Boys, of course. But, as is the case 95% of the time, people like each other regardless of their stance on Federal subsidies or what kind of change is required in the White House. Spin-masters on both sides want us to forget that as a species, we want to get along. And we did. Our instructor, Rick, was a great teacher, a knowledgeable woodsman, and an all around terrific guy. But we all knew better than to correct him about Obama’s position on the 2nd Amendment… at least not while he had a gun in hand. And since no one from Obama’s office has come to our houses to take our guns away yet, it’s good to know that those conservative boys can be worry-warts, too.
Rick taught us well; in the classroom, about where to aim at to ensure a clean, quick kill, about hunting laws and regulations, about different rifles and loading configurations, and about the wonders of freeze-dried food (the peach cobbler was my favorite). At the firing range, helping us sight our guns for accuracy and learn to hold our bodies relaxed, to reduce fatigue, and how to best hold our rifles for a good shot. Throughout the lessons he emphasized the importance of ethical hunting and taking responsibility for every shot fired. The ethical part was a big surprise for me. Bad Conservative Boys defy stereotype, too.
To end the course, Rick took us in pairs into the early winter Tongass, hunting for deer. Neither team of women, nor Rick, fired a shot on those outings, or even saw a deer (though the story is that when the other team of women saw two deer cross the road while driving home, one of them all hollered “Run ‘em down, Rick!”). But his calm, assured, “one with the forest” attitude while hunting was one of the best lessons. Everyone, no matter their politics, can love the forest and be in awe of the wonders found there.
So here’s a guided visualization for Good Liberal Girls and Women: even if you’ve spent your life speaking against guns, like I had; even if you’re afraid of firing a gun; even if it has become a habit to order steak at the Hangar. Imagine the beauty of our boreal rainforest, the peace of walking through it softly or sitting for an hour on a moss-covered log, Buddha-like in your calm and awareness. Then allow yourself to feel the primal need for family survival (my husband prefers the phrase, “blood lust, surging through your veins,” and he’s an Extremely Liberal Man). Respect and thank the deer, as women have done for untold centuries (no one can tell me that women haven’t hunted throughout history – like pretending that American women didn’t work outside the home in the 50’s). Liberals and Conservatives alike, we can always agree on the desire for a full freezer.
Find your inner Diana:
Though I highly recommend finding a trusted and experienced hunter to get you started, here are ways and organizations for you to follow to learn how to hunt. If I can do it, trust me, so can you.
Becoming an Outdoors Woman (BOW): www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/region3/programs/BOW/
An excellent resource for hands-on experience with hunting, fishing, and other wilderness skills. November 14-20 they will host the Raspberry Island Fin & Fur Adventure off of Kodiak. There will also be a camp in Southeast in May, 2011.
These are excellent introductory classes that cover firearm safety, wilderness safety, laws and regulations, and the basics of firing a rifle. The instructors are experienced local hunters and Fish and Game employees. There are no classes currently scheduled so you can call the Alaska Department of Fish and Game at 465-4265 to get on a list for future classes.
Cooperative Extension 4-H Program: http://www.uaf.edu/ces/4h/ or Darren Snyder at 796-6281
A lot of women start hunting because of their kids. The 4-H shooting sports club might be a place you can experience it together.
Field dressing a deer: if you’ve got the stomach for it, there are lots of good videos on You-Tube. But it really is best to see someone doing it live; it was actually less difficult for me to watch it in person. It was somehow more respectful to the animal to be able to touch it and, well, thank it.
Processing game meat: http://www.uaf.edu/ces/preservingalaskasbounty/index.html
Once again the Cooperative Extension Service comes through. Check their website for some terrific learning modules. Also watch for local Community Kitchen events (JuneauCommunityKitchens@gmail.com) about processing game.
Sarah Lewis is a local architect and social worker, and proud owner of a Ruger 308 compact rifle with a laminated stock and Leupold scope… and she loves how good it looks with her Xtra-tufs.
No comments:
Post a Comment